Friday, April 26, 2013

The Beginning....a story untold

Have you ever been eternally grateful for someone? You know they aren't perfect, but they just amaze you with the things they do? They can drive you crazy, but make you cherish them at the same time? This person to me is my husband. He is the one of the most patient men I have ever met ( My Dad is first).
Terrance and I have been married for 10 years today. 10 YEARS! Not many people these days can say they were married at 19 and last for 10 years. Not many people these days are getting married in their 20's and 30's and lasting for 10 years. The odds were totally against us. We were young kids, doing what young kids do, and found ourselves grown up over night.
It was February of 2003 when my life changed forever. I borrowed my roommates car to drive to a clinic in town. At the time I was attending Harding University, in Searcy Arkansas. A christian based university and town, the clinic I was headed to wasn't ideal. It took me a few weeks to really grasp the reality that my life was about to change forever. I didn't tell my roommate why I needed her car, because I didn't know how to. A parental planning clinic offered free pregnancy tests and counseling. I couldn't risk buying a test at Walmart and being seen by students or faculty there. If that happened expulsion from the university was the consequence. Oddly enough, the clinic was withing walking distance to the school. I parked my roommates car down the road a bit to avoid someone recognizing her car and becoming suspicious of her.........
2 words: " You're Pregnant" was all it took to change my life forever!
After that moment, my life became a whirlwind. I now had to decide how to tell Terrance, my school and most of all my parents. I was thankful for my roommate that day.
The next 2 months went by in a blur. I withdrew from Harding, moved back home to Colorado and worked at a pet store in the mall until the beginning of April. Then I packed up my belongings and life I knew to move to Jefferson City, Missouri to marry my college sweetheart at the tender age of 19. We had 6 weeks to plan our wedding. We were eternally blessed with friends, family and congregation who helped us pull off a small, inexpensive and perfect wedding. The highlights of course of the wedding where 2 things. First, right after we said our " I Do's" a phone begins to ring. At first I think someone in the crowd got a call. Until the moment Terrance, YES TERRANCE pulls his cell phone from his tux pocket and answers it! Now, you're probably wondering who would have been calling him on a day such as this, a friend who wasn't invited, his secret girlfriend (kidding).. NO, it was Jared his groomsman standing 2 bodies away! I believe the conversation went T " Hello"... J " Hey Man, What are you doin'?"... T " I'm getting marriend, gotta go." HILARIOUS! Although I didn't see it, a man in the front row, apparently was about to run up and ring Terrance's neck for pulling such a stunt, until the phone rings again..... " Hello".. " Hey Man, DON'T DO IT!".. Thanks to my wonderful soon to be brother in law, and best man, Terrill calling! We got a good laugh, and it really lightened up the room. Neither one of us are much for stuffy serious atmospheres.... Time for the rings.. Brent, my father in law and minister who married us asked our first in commands to place the rings in his bible for safer, easier transfers. My wonderful Roommate and Maid of Honor did as she was told, you would think the boys could too.. WRONG. As Brent is waiting for Terrill to place my ring in his bible, the crowd starts to laugh when we all look up and see my ring being lowered with fishing line through the arch we had above our heads. Which would have been fine, until the line was tugged to hard, and the ring got stuck. Brent had to get on his tippy toes and break the line. I was thankful for the pranks. It made for great memories, video, and a great start to our new life together.
We spent our honeymoon night at Tan Tara Resort at the Lake of the Ozarks.There was a convention going on, so we got literally the last room available which was 2 double beds. The next day we were home by lunch and at church that night. Not much of a honeymoon by today's standards, but we were young kids who couldn't afford to go anywhere.
Since that day, Terrance and I have welcomed 2 gorgeous children into our lives, Crysta and Carter and expecting our 3rd this August. We still have our first family pet, Akira who has been with us for 7 years. We  bought our first home in 2010 and have been through a strew of vehicles, although only 3 of them we have purchased together. We have had our ups and downs, highs and lows, fighting and laughter. One thing has remained constant. Our love for each other and God.  This 10 year journey has been unlike anything I could ever imagine, and I am so thankful for it! I am so blessed with my family too. I now, as of today have 4 sisters, 4 brothers, 4 nieces, 1 nephew and another niece due in September. I thank God everyday for the many blessings in my life. If you are reading this, then that makes you one of them. Thank you to everyone who has supported, encouraged  comforted, and kicked me in the rear when I needed you the most, I would not be where I am today without you. I am looking forward to the future with an open heart and mind, never forgetting to thank God everyday for what he has given me.
Sometimes the most un-ideal situations like teen pregnancy can be what it takes to straighten someones path, and save their lives. I can't imagine who I'd be with or where I'd be otherwise. For those of you who were curious of my and Terrance's story, there you have it. Although that is how it started, that is not what defines our relationship, and life together or with God. I am thankful for that cold February day, because although it turned my world upside down for a moment, it has given me a lifetime of pure happiness.

2 comments:

Lelo and Stitch said...

It was so nice to read about your life. We had very similar weddings (including the prank to lower the wedding ring from fishing line from the ceiling, although mine was attached to a bell that was used as decoration) :D Our grooms men were clever, and tricked us both on that one lol. Congrats on 10 years! It is totally a huge accomplishment! our 8th is around the corner and it feels just like yesterday and I was only 20 years old. I hope that you have a fabulous day and another MANY MANY MANY happy years. :-D just think, one thing about getting married so young.... you could truly be one of those couples that is married for over 70 years... wouldn't that be cool? I think of it often :-D God bless you!

Lelo and Stitch said...

:)